Wednesday, January 27, 2010

More daydreams of a kitchen I can really sink my teeth into...

Soon M. & I will start the seemingly daunting task of painting our cabinetry white and redoing the (presently gross) backsplash.  Eventually we will also add a wood floor in there, to mathc with the rest of the house, stained a dark jacobean.  I am petrified of messing up what are expensive cabinet doors, unfortunately not done to my tastes.  Here are some more examples of what we are going for.  We plan on painting the light wood cabinet a white and using some chrome pulls, probably cap pulls along these lines:

The countertops are done in a gray-pink swirl patterned granite. Also expensive and therefore totally not going to be replaced, but again, not really in my style.  Nevertheless, to prevent M. from having a heart attack, I will not be touching them!  So instead of the white carrera marble I have pictured in my head, I will, in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work!".  I plan on ripping out the blue and white little-dutch-boy tiles that are the current backsplash and doing a white subway pattered backsplash.  I think I will be using dark gray grout, to bring out the gray of the granite tops.
      


As for the island....well currently I am using a table I got from Ikea.  It really is the perfect height for an island and, in my long narrow kitchen, has proven to be the perfect width, so much smaller than I planned!  This table has turned out to be a great dress rehearsal for the permanent island we plan on having, and I am glad we did it this way (even though it was more of a happy accident).  I am trying to find a picture of it, but cannot remember the name (probably something like the Kjorkelsowrhfadkjlprtb knowing them).  Sorry!
Anyway, that is the plan....

No comments:

Post a Comment