Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rainbow Bright Idea

I love throwing parties and now, with my new kitchen thoroughly underway, I can't wait to go ahead with one.  Neal's birthday is coming up but he wants NOTHING to do with a party.  So, I will just have to enjoy other people's parties for now.  Isn't this one just smashing?!






Makes me get ideas for Knox's first birthday...OMG, did I just write that!?!?!


Addendum:  From another blog, iammommy.typepad.com

So, I made a double batch of white cake then added specific ingredients to each layer.

(To do a double rainbow cake I just cut each individual layer in half after baking)
Each cake was baked in a six inch round cake pan using 1 1/4 cups of the white cake batter.
I just added the following ingredients directly to the batter, combined, then poured into prepared pan.


Red- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries
Orange- Two tablespoons of freshly grated orange zest and 1 tsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
Yellow- Two tablespoons of freshly grated lemon zest
Green- 1/2 cup of diced kiwi
Blue-1/2 cup of blueberries, plus a few pureed for color
Purple- 1/2 cup of finely diced purple grapes, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon orange zest


*I added a few scant drops of food coloring just to make things a little more easily distinguishable, but for the most part its all just the color of the fruit!

I decided not to use frosting between the layers because this cake was already going to be so tall, so I just made a simple syrup and brushed that on between the layers.

IMG_2919.cake


 

No comments:

Post a Comment